Congrats Alyssa!! FLIGHT is here!!
Genre: Mature YA/New Adult Paranormal Romance
Sometimes you just have to take flight.
A summer in New Orleans is exactly what Allie needs before starting college. Accepting her dad’s invitation to work at his hotel offers an escape from her ex-boyfriend and the chance to spend the summer with her best friend. Meeting a guy is the last thing on her mind—until she sees Levi.
Unable to resist the infuriating yet alluring Levi, Allie finds herself at the center of a supernatural society and forced to decide between following the path she has always trusted or saving a city that might just save her.
Alyssa Rose Ivy lives in North Carolina with her husband and two young children. Although raised in the New York area, she fell in love with the South after moving to New Orleans for college. After years as a perpetual student, she turned back to her creative side and decided to write.
Road Trip Wednesday is a “Blog Carnival,” where YA Highway‘s contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s unique take on the topic.
This week’s topic:
Honestly, I couldn’t remember of any book I read that featured sports. I even went to Goodreads and looked through my lists of books, and found none. I have a couple on my TBR list, like Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, and I even have the book on my kindle, but didn’t read it yet.
Then I remembered one: the entire Harry Potter series — hello, Quidditch? Yeah!
Hehe, just kidding! (not really).
Well, I did read one recently, where there Hero fights MMA. It is a sport, BUT the book is adult, and very, very hot. It’s called Seducing Cinderella by Gina L. Maxwell. Other than that, what I have to say about this book is: wow! I loved the characters. It’s told in dual POV, so you get stuck in deep third with the hero and the heroine and I loved their voices, and the guy, for being a fighter, was always talking about the ring, and punching, and throwing the towel as his analogies. It was super fun.
And you? Which sports books did you read and liked?
On an unrelated note, have you read my short story at Figment.com? It’s only 4000 words and I would love some feedback! It’s called Into the Darkest Fire and you can read it here.
My family and friends always ask where they can read a sample of my writing and such, so, since this time there are a few samples around the web, I decided to share them with you.
Also, I would be very happy if you want to comment/critique/pass along the word and, for figment’s short story, give me some hearts ;)
So, here they are:
The query for my NA Contemporary Fantasy Amber Energy at WriteOnCon Forums: here.
The first five pages of my NA Contemporary Fantasy Amber Energy at WriteOnCon Forums: here.
A short story (4000 words) for a contest with HarperTeen on Figment.com, called Into the Darkest Fire: here.
For the short story, we’re supposed to put up a cover. Well, they have some mockup covers on Figment and people do their own, but I’m terrible at this (even though I have a BA in Art Studio – Graphic Design), so I asked my NA sister Jaycee DeLorenzo to design a cover for me. I told her it didn’t need to be fancy, but omg, it totally is!
Here is the cover for my short story:
Isn’t it GORGEOUS?! I would take it as the cover of a real novel, not just a short story. I’m super happy with it ;)
I want thank Jaycee for the amazing cover. THANK YOU!
Even if you can’t or don’t want or don’t know how to comment and/or critique, I would appreciate if you took the time to read them, after all, as a writer, I write to share my stories ;)
My goals for the past week and how it went:
- Writing: Monday and Tuesday, continue revising my manuscript (and finish it, then put it aside to get some distance from it). Wed, start outlining/writing something else (DG#2, maybe?). Well, this week didn’t go as planned but I’m not complaining. I stopped revising Amber Energy on Monday. I just needed a break from it, you know. So Tuesday I started working on a short story for a contest (see bellow this section about) it. I researched and came up with loose outlines. Wed, I read all day—had to finish a book that was released on Tuesday lol And Thu and Fri, I worked on the short story. Sent it to 3 CPs, and 2 already got it back to me ;)
- Reading: read book #45 and I probably should update my goodreads challenge to a higher number. Read books #45, #46, and #47. As for the goodreads challenge, I updated and increased the number of books I want to read in 2012, but perhaps I still should increase more. I also read 20 pages from one CP’s manuscript, and 30 pages of another CP’s manuscript.
- Social media: blog at least twice and hop on Twitter from time to time. Done.
- Exercise: 3x at least. Went to the gym 5 times.
On Monday I found out about a short story contest called Defy the Dark. The prize is to be published on a Harperteen anthology! The deadline is Sept 1st. So, even knowing my chances are low, I wrote something for it and will enter the contest. Wish me luck!
Hubby comes back next Thursday! Can’t wait … I miss him terribly. But then his Executive MBA starts on Monday and they are going to squeeze one trimester in two weeks, making it very intense. Then it goes back to the regular schedule: Fridays and Saturdays. But I’m trying to keep in mind that this is going to be worth it. Only 18 months and he’ll have something extra on his curriculum.
Changing subjects, I want to thank Lauren Garafalo for revising my query, more than once. You rock, girl! THANK YOU!
My goals for next week:
- Writing: actually, this is going to be revising, instead of writing. I’ll get back to Amber Energy. I’m giving myself until Sep 15th to finish it. (I won’t be doing much Thur and Fri, though, since hubby will take these days off work).
- Revise the short story (2000-4000 words) and submit to the Defy the Dark contest.
- Reading: read book #48.
- Social media: blog at least twice and hop on Twitter from time to time.
- Exercise: 3x at least.
Go support the other ROWers too! Have a great week!
Hi! I'm Juliana Haygert,
New Adult author.
Welcome to my blog!
To learn more about me, click here.
Subscribe to my newsletterEnter your email address to subscribe to my newsletter and receive notifications of new books and events.
Looking for Google Friends Connect?
- ▼2013 (67)
- ▼May (12)
- Morgan Media presents: Animated covers!
- DESTINY GIFT Promo!
- Cover Love: Once Upon a Darkness
- Cover Love: Charcoal and Hot Chocolate
- Breaking the Reins pic teaser #2
- DESTINY GIFT Blog Tour Day 8, 9 and 10!
- Cover Love: Come What May
- DESTINY GIFT Blog Tour Day 6 and 7!
- Stamford Author Event
- DESTINY GIFT Blog Tour Day 4 and 5!
- The Forgotten Ones by Laura Howard is live!
- DESTINY GIFT Blog Tour Day 2 and 3!
- ►April (14)
- ►March (14)
- ►February (10)
- ►January (17)
- ▼May (12)
- ►2012 (216)
- ►2011 (92)
- ▼2013 (67)